Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Mistress

"You better go now, because I will not feel like letting you go every-night. In fact, you need to make sure you run in the morning." Words of wisdom and warning from my wife last night as she sent me out the door to keep my running streak alive and well. Now, I have to be fair and say that my wife has been very supportive of me during my recent return to running. She bought me brand new Nike Marathon Racers and a racing singlet for Christmas. When the Nike Outlet had a sale last week, she sent me to purchase some warm clothing for those cold foggy mornings we enjoy in Central California and she has made sure I have plenty of healthy snacks to pack in my lunch for work each day. What can I say, I have a great wife.

But, there is a term that she uses to name my other passion other than her. On several occasions, my running has been referred to as my "mistress." Of course I feel guilty when she uses this term, because I know she feels like I am devoting too much time to another lover. If I am honest with myself, I have to agree, she is like a mistress. She calls me from my warm bed in the morning to leave the side of my wife. She causes my heart to race and my temperature to rise when I am with her out on the road or trails. I get a thrill and a rush when we really go at it hard. And crossing the finish-line after a really hard race, it is, well, almost, orgasmic. Yes, it is true. Running is my mistress.

Fear not. I will never leave or cheat on my wife with another woman. That I know. But tomorrow morning...yup, there I'll go. Out into the cold, wet, and foggy darkness of dawn to run another few miles to start my day and remember, if it wasn't for the support of my wife I wouldn't be here writing this blog, no way.

Until tomorrow, keep running, healthy and be careful who and what you love,
SP

No comments:

Post a Comment