Monday, January 18, 2010

Fallen Brother

Today was day 50 in a row! I celebrated by, what else, going for another run. That gave me 12 miles for the day and a good start to the week.

I got some bummer news this past weekend about another over 40 guy who had to "hang up the jock." What a bummer. My friend Jack is one of those guys who truly loves the sport of track and field. If you want up to date stats regarding the top runners in the country, he can tell you down to the .001 of the second of their latest race results or pr's. If you want to talk training, I think his library must contain every coaching book ever published. But most of all, the guy just loved to run and race. After months and months of a nagging calf injury, he has "hung up his jock" and will learn to continue on his running life without the daily mileage.

I thought of Jack and all of those I have personally shared this running life with today as I was out running. It is strange how the simple act of putting one leg in front of the other, albeit, faster than normal, can bond people together. It is a brother/sisterhood that exists between runners. It knows neither age, sex, race, or speed. No matter who we are, we all pull our running shorts on one leg at a time and we all head out the door, hoping that today's run will be a little bit better than yesterday's. Aches, pains, chub-rub, snot-rockets, and black toe are all part of the joy of running and to not run, well, that is a bad day.

So savor those days you are out and running and enjoy the moment. Like Jack, we could be just an injury away from "hanging it up." I pray not. Jack, I am sorry, I have no words other than to say, thanks for being a part of this running life.

Until the next run, stay healthy and enjoy each and every step.
SP

No comments:

Post a Comment