Friday, January 1, 2010

Goals for 2010

As I enter into my 28th year of running, who knew when I went out for track my freshman year in high school I would still be doing this, I have nine goals that I want to accomplish this year. Even though I have been running for over 27 years, the past eight years have been very minimal and plagued with injuries, so now that I am finally healthy and ready to tackle the world of masters running, it is time to set some running related goals to help guide me back to the world of running and racing.

1) Log 3000+ miles for the year: now I know as a master runner that I am to not get so wrapped up in counting the miles, but some habits are hard to break. 3000 is not some magic number, but what I calculated I could run based on my current weekly mileage. I have never been a "streak" runner, accumulating days, months and years without missing a day, but I do want to have a goal that helps me stay consistent, so that I don't have a long lapse in running, other than illness or injury.
2) Finish in the Top Five in the Masters Division of the Fresno Runner of the Year Series: since I live in the middle of the central San Joaquin Valley, have a family and career, the Fresno Runner of the Year Series provides the perfect opportunity to jump back into racing without having to travel too far to find races.
3) Race 5,000 and 10,000 meters at the USATF Masters Track Championships in Sacramento: the whole reason I started running was to run track in high school. It has been almost eighteen years since I last ran a 10,000 on the track at the NCAA Div II Championships in San Angelo, Texas, so I would like to see what I can do now.
4) Race a 1600/mile on the track: well, didn't we all want to be Steve Scott, Seb Coe, or Steve Ovett back in the 80's.
5) Join a local Running Club: I have ran for some pretty good clubs in the past, but I have not ever really been involved in just a local group of runners who just like to run for the fun of it. Time to get to know some of the other runners in the area.
6) Run a Trail Race: even though I have logged countless miles covering trails in the foothills and mountains of California, I have yet to actually run a race on the trails. I have always been a little afraid I would be the guy that got lost and devoured by a mountain lion. I guess it is time to finally face my fears.
7) Pace Someone to a PR in a race: one thing that I miss from college is occasionally playing rabbit or pacer to help a teammate. Hopefully, I can help someone else accomplish a racing goal this year.
8) Donate my Old Running Shoes to a Charity: why am I still holding on to these things? Like most runners, I have a closet full of shoes that are still perfectly fine for most day to day activities just collecting dust.
9) Organize a Midnight Run: my favorite memories from college are the many midnight runs we did on full moon nights during the summer. Time to get a few buddies together and head out this summer for a little late night mischief.

Well, those are the goals for 2009. I thought about adding some time goals, but since I have not seriously raced in over eight years, I figure I better get out there and learn about my 42 year old body and how it will handle the rigors of racing and training again first and then maybe by mid-year I can add some time goals.

Until then, keep healthy and running!
SP

Today's Runs: am 7-miles pm 5-miles Total for the day: 12 miles
Total for the week: 51 miles
Total for 2010: 12 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment