Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Eugene

I couldn't help but think about the first time I ran in Eugene, Oregon this past week. Mainly due to the fact that almost every run involved some form of precipitation. For those of you who have never ran in Eugene or on the fabled Hayward Field track, all I can say is that you need to make the pilgrimage to the mecca. Or should I just say "Track City USA." Now there are some people who post on other sites that bash the whole Eugene experience and all I can say is, "are you kidding me?!" I am just going to assume they are either jealous or have never had the incredible experience of racing in front of Pre's people. Of all the venues I have ever raced in, nothing compares to Hayward Field.

My first race there was in June of 1990. A 10,000 meter race was set up for Alberto Salazar and somehow, my coach, Danny Aldridge got me in the race with him at the Prefontaine Classic. Not only was I going to race at Hayward, I was going to be in the race with one of my running heros and the Prefontaine! I was way over my head to say the least.

As we were warming up, Aldge told me that it would be ok if I needed to step off the track half way if I needed to, but the night was about to get magical. At that moment, the Eugene mist began to fall as we stepped into the holding area. Being the slowest in the field, I was the first person announced to run onto the track. As I left the holding area, the clerk told me, "be sure to wave to the crowd." "Yeah, right," I thought as the announcer read my name...the crowd cheered and I ran dumbfounded onto the home-straight waving blindly like a homecoming hero. As each entrant made his way onto the track the crowd got louder and louder and finally; former American record holder, world record holder and hometown runner... The crowd was on its feet going nuts. "This is soooo coool," was all I could whisper to myself as we lined up for the start of the race.

To make a long story short, Alberto and the other top runners lapped me twice and I had to run the last two laps all by myself. Which was still cool, because the crowd still clapped in unison and Alberto waited until I was done to take his victory lap. I even got a 1 second pr.

After the race when we were getting ready to cool down I approached Alberto to sign my program. When I handed it to him, he looked up at me and asked, "why do want me to sign this? You were in the race too." From that moment on I was a different runner. I honestly don't think I would have ever been an All American in college if it was not for that night. So Alberto, I know you will probably never read this, but from a former Division II scrub, thank you for making me feel like one of the big boys. Even if it was for just one night.

Until the next time, keep running, stay healthy, and dream big! Even at our age.
SP

No comments:

Post a Comment