Friday, February 5, 2010

25 Again

Today I did a 10 mile run with a college kid named Lino. Lino graduated from the same high school I did and currently goes to the same junior college, running for the same coach that I ran for as well. I have gotten to know Lino over the past year as he has came out and ran with our team on several occasions. The thing that is fun about running with Lino, is that he is hungry to learn about the sport and over the past couple of months he has really started to improve and shows great potential to do very well in his next step as a collegiate runner.

As we were cruising along today it was fun to talk about the stud runners from my era (the 80's) and the great ones from the 70's and all the others up to now. I remember running with my college buddies and coach having the same conversations. The names may have changed, but it is still the same ol game. We talked about the up and coming runners from our junior college. We talked about how coach still gets excited for his athletes. Which of the young lions is going to break American records this upcoming season and what our favorite races while clipping along at 7 minute mile pace. For an hour of my day, I felt like I was 25 again. I love days like today, when the legs feel good, running in the rain and it all felt so easy.

Even though I know tomorrow I will be a little stiff and sore, it was well worth it. Thanks Lino for helping this old dog feel young again, even if it was just for a brief moment.

Until the next time, keep running, stay healthy and young at heart.
SP

No comments:

Post a Comment