Saturday, November 20, 2010

Techno Runner


My cross country runners surprised me the other night at our awards banquet with a super cool gift, a Nike+ Band. For those of you who are not familiar with this gadget, it is a sleek band that fits around your wrist with a small usb jump drive and a sensor that is placed in your shoe to keep track of how far you have ran, your pace, and how many calories you have burned! I can even log online and track my run and keep a record of all my mileage by plugging the little usb drive in my computer. So instead of a clunky Garmin on my wrist, which I do not own, I wear a device roughly the size of a Livestrong bracelet. This morning I ran 6.18 miles at 7:30 per mile pace and burned 880 calories! Melt away oh flabby flesh of man boobs!

Now, for anyone who knows me, knows that I am Mr. Old School runner, minus the tube socks and afro, and have shunned the heart rate monitor, ipod, Garmin, water belts, camel backs, and cross training. I run. I run in cotton socks and deal with blisters and take pride in my blood stained shoes. I wear cotton t-shirts and deal with bleeding nipples. If I get chub rub, vaseline works wonders. I have always said all I need is a good solid running watch, but I have to admit, this little gadget is COOL! After calibrating it yesterday, I was super excited to try it out today. The best part was that it confirmed that my internal gps is fairly accurate and I still know how to listen to my body to determine my pace. As I am falling back into the running life it is nice to have a device that allows me to accurately track my running, minus the watch. So to my guys, Thank You very much for such a cool gift. You guys are the best.

As always, stay healthy and keep running!

No comments:

Post a Comment