Friday, March 26, 2010

Running Naked


Well, I have decided to try running naked a few days a week! This is a big stretch for me. Not that I am ashamed of my body or that I am a little upset that I did not make the AOL list of the top 10 to bare it all for the camera, I mean, come on, I am just as pasty white as Kate Winslet, however I am not talking about leaving my singlet and shorts off and running in my birthday suit. It is time to leave the poor ol' watch at home.

Yes, that is it! Running naked means no watch. Sorry to disappoint, but if you ask some college team-mates of mine, I am sure they would be glad to tell a tale or two. Anyways, I have always felt naked without my watch. It is that one piece of gadgetry that I just can't seem to give up. Not that I have one of those watches that keep my pace, distance, heart-rate, calories burned, and comes with a compass just in case I get lost. Nope, mine is pretty simple. I just keep track of how long it takes me to run the course I have chosen to run that day. Plain and simple, how long did it take me. And here lies the problem.

Since my goal is to run fast, I have a hard time running slow and by feel. I know rest and easy running are just as important as going hard in work-outs, but if I glance at my watch and see that I am 2 seconds fast, do I slow down. Heck no! I might be able to run this loop faster than I ever have had before. Who cares if it is a recovery day! This could be a new Santa Fe Trail 5 mile morning loop pr we are talking about. Nobody will be talking about this for weeks! Come on baby, push it. Lets trim those seconds off. So much for recovery.

So, since time slows down for no man, the man has decided to leave time behind. At least on easy recovery days. I have often heard you are only uncomfortable being naked the first few times, but like in marriage, after you bare it all, you get used to it and it is just a part of life. Even to the point to where you don't even notice it. (Honey, I still notice when you are naked!) As I head out the door, no one will turn their heads and stare in amazement, but I will know that I am not fully clothed and my bare wrist will feel exposed, but naked I must go.

Until the next time, keep running, stay healthy, and don't be afraid to bare the wrist!
SP

No comments:

Post a Comment