Sunday, March 7, 2010

First Race of 2010

Ugggh. Okay, now I know we slow down with old age, but my goodness, I was not prepared for what happened today. I ran my first race, a two mile, in which I ran 11:41. Not that I am totally surprised, but honestly, I thought I would have ran about 20-30 seconds faster than what I did. I guess I need to take it for what it is, my first race attempt in nearly two years and that I have only really been running consistently for the last three months. So to be too disappointed would be silly, but still, I know I can go faster. Much faster.

So rather than be disappointed and depressed, I am going to use this as motivation to structure my readjustment of my goals for 2010. As I have been following my SSU coach's running blog he continually mentions how he loves to run, run fast that is and this is what I want to do; run fast.

This coming Tuesday I will reach 100 straight days and many people have been asking, what are you going to do after you reach 100? Well, I am going to run another 100 straight days, but instead of focusing on just getting out and making sure I run, now I am going to focus on what I need to do to run fast. Now I know I will never run as fast as I once did, so I have to set some "Masters PR Goals." Losing to 4 other 40 something guys in a local road race, well, that just did not set well with me. I didn't mind David beating because he is a former teammate and I remember when he used to beat me on a regular basis, but the other three had never beaten me before and I am not about to go down quietly. Call me vain. Call me crazy. But I want to be able to get out there and mix it up with the top masters guys and let the pups know that the old dog can still get off the porch and run.

Until the next time, keep running and stay healthy.
SP

No comments:

Post a Comment