Monday, May 16, 2011

Nachos, Cheers and Lucky Beer


So today at work I heard someone say something about Lucky beer and I nearly laughed out loud! Man, now that took me back twenty something years to the long nights my first college roommate and teammate Phil spent eating nachos, watching Cheers and enjoying a few cheap Lucky beers when we more than likely should have been studying or at least getting some sleep before the next day's work-out. I love talking about the glory days of my little DII cross country and track program at SSU and how well we done, but truth be told, there was a period of time when I first got there, well, lets just say, running was not priority number one.

This not to say we didn't want to improve and run fast, it was just that we wanted to have a little more fun than should be legal. What a cast of characters we were. My college teammates were this rag-tag group of college running rejects and misfits, but we had a passion for life and made the most out of every minute that we could. Hell, even our coach was a character who was always fast with a joke or prank. No wonder I miss those days. I think I laughed more in that first year than I have in the last twenty. From hog-tying a freshmen teammate to hitchhiking in Ashland, Oregon to calling up Pat Porter after one too many to wish him good luck to eating $2 burritos to dashing out of bushes with no socks to being lost on a 20 mile run in Tahoe to jelly donuts after a Sunday long run, those are the memories that flood my mind each every time I lace up and crank out a few miles.

So as I sit here and go back in time, here's to you, all my SSU teammates and thank God we have moved beyond Lucky beer! Although, I think I will heat up some nachos in the microwave and tune into Cheers on the cable and laugh a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment