Saturday, April 30, 2011

Inspiration

I got a great message from my former high school teammate Shannon a few days ago about how I inspired her to sign up and run in this year's World Masters Championships. I have to say, it was one of the coolest things that has happened since I started writing this blog and have ventured into the world of masters running. The funny thing is, the very people who have mentioned my running as being inspirational are the ones who are inspiring me each and every day I am out there cruising along putting one foot in front of the other. And I cannot think of anyone more inspirational than my former, soon to be teammate again, Shannon.

In high school, we were both the two best cross country and distance runners on our team. We both went on to be NCAA Division II All American distance runners in track, we both had set backs in college but bounced back with a vengeance, and we both are now teachers. And, we still love that same crazy sport we took up so many years ago. But, best of all, when you run with Shannon it is sure to be a great time of good stories and laughs. The girl knows how to have a good time while pounding the miles.

I think what makes Shannon so inspirational, is that she never focuses on what she has done, but what you are doing. Running, as communal of sport that it is, is also a very selfish sport, and most runners tend to only talk about themselves. Shannon, even way, way, way back in high school was always talking to you about what you were going to do and offering up kind words of encouragement. In fact, I really do wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard her say, "You can do it!" Even while warming up on the grass inside the track, if you were racing, she was cheering you on while doing her strides or stretching.

So Shannon, I just want to say thank you for your kind words and to let you know, in the 30 years that I have been a runner, you are the most inspirational runner I have ever met and I am proud and honored to have been your team mate. You are one of the kindest, warm-hearted individuals that I know. Thank you for the years of encouragement, cheers and laughter. Your husband and kids are very blessed to have you and so are all of us who make up your running family. I look forward to cheering you on as we take on the world in July!

As always, stay healthy, and keep running. Oh yeah, don't forget to thank those truly inspirational people in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment