Monday, January 24, 2011

Running on Empty


Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels
Looking back at the years gone by like so many summer fields
In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up one-o-one
I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on
"Running on Empty" by Jackson Browne

I can't say I was 17 in '65, although, I was 17 for a short while in '85, but lately I find myself looking back at the nearly 30 years that I have spent in this sport and I still see that 17 year old kid, full of wonder and potential, out soaking up the sun, running the same canals, dirt roads and even the same track that I do today. The bushy hairdo is long gone, the shorts longer, and the socks shorter, but that starry-eyed dreamer is still out there. Just like over 25 years ago, each day is an adventure that is just waiting to unfold and each run offers up a new opportunity to succeed or if the running gods see fit, a setback. Some days I feel 17 again and others, like today, I am sore and tired and it feels like I am running on empty. But, I know I need to keep running on. So as I click off Jackson, lace up and head out the door, I'm not too sure where I'll be running, but I do know, I am still running on!

So if you tempt me with your kindness, just know I can't stick around as I am running on. Stay healthy and keep running on.

No comments:

Post a Comment