Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Day After...


Growing up in the 80's our U.S. History teacher made us watch this horrible film about Nuclear War called the Day After. Freaking gave me nightmares for months. Seriously, who wanted to be left in a world of Nuclear Winter, people with hideous sores from radiation, with all of us just waiting for Mad Maxx to show up! Man, there were so many post-apocalyptic movies that we were all sure Gorbachev was going to drop the big one any moment. But now that I am older, I no longer squeamish from having nightmares of body parts falling off due to radiation poison, but the day after still lingers.

Now the day after refers to that dreaded day after I have done something I was not quite ready to do, like run a fartlek with crazy, hormonal teenage boys who have to run around in the shower just to get wet. Man, the old fat man was keeping up just fine during the work-out, but holy stinking cow! I must have awakened at least half dozen time last night with my calves, feet and for crying out loud, my toes! My toes were cramping up! How in the world does one get a cramp in the big toe? Then when I got out of bed I practically needed a walker to get to the bathroom. This is not good.

All day I hobbled around with a sore groin. Men should not strain their groin. It takes the swagger out of your step. Even when I tried to pull it off as doing my best John Wayne imitation, I looked more like a whooped dog with his tail tucked so far up, he stumbles just to stay upright. At least my voice didn't go up three octaves or else I would have had a lot of explaining to do. But thank goodness the afternoon came and I was able to gingerly stretch out the old white limbs and loosen up with a few miles. So here is hoping the day after, will be a better day than today. Frankly, I think I would have preferred the post-apocalyptic sores and mutants.

As always, stay healthy, keep running...but run with people your own age!

No comments:

Post a Comment